This session focused on the importance of active mobility and how local governments can seize the opportunity offered by the pandemic with an improved urban design and city planning. Learnings from Africa-based NGOs promoting a car-free environment, and pop-up bike lanes around the world during COVID-19 pandemic created a different perspective for attendees.
Through the session, panelists deliberated on the following aspects:
- How public-private partnerships can forge the way for new solutions?
- How urban planning can guide better urban freight distribution?
- Is the cargo bike the final answer for parcel deliveries?
- How has urban logistics in the time of the pandemic played a key role?
- Yiqian Zhang, Officer, Sustainable Mobility, ICLEI World Secretariat, Germany (Download presentation)
- Sergio Eduardo Martinez, Undersecretary of Mobility Policy of Bogota (Download presentation)
- Robin Billsjö, Urban Freight Strategist, Transport department, City of Stockholm (Download presentation)
- Li-Teh Lu (Ph.D.), Director General, Environment Protection Department, Deputy CEO, ICLEI EcoLogistics Community Chair Office, Taoyuan (Download presentation)
This panel launched the eight foundational principles for local governments to follow leading the transition to sustainable urban freight developed by ICLEI and partners. Through the session, attendees got insights on:
- The readiness of a city to implement sustainable urban freight solutions
- The starting point while planning for urban freight
- How cities can work with stakeholders towards sustainable urban freight
- Stakeholder engagement for policy interventions on sustainable urban freight
- Beatrice Ch’ng, Senior Officer Sustainable Mobility, ICLEI World Secretariat, Germany
- Monika Zimmermann, Mobility Expert and Former Deputy Secretary General of ICLEI, Germany
- Art Pearce, Director of Policy Planning and Projects, Bureau of Transportation, City of Portland, USA (Download slides)
- Nico de Golia, Associate, Business for Social Responsibility (BSR), San Francisco, USA (Download slides)
- Shri. K.R. Jyothilal, Principle Secretary for Transport, Government of Kerala State, India (Download slides)
This panel focused on various policies, infrastructure and technological developments to support decarbonizing of the transport sector.
- Beatrice Ch’ng, Senior Officer, Sustainable Mobility, ICLEI WS, Bonn, Germany (Download slides)
- Dr. Oliver Lah, Head of Research Unit Mobility and International Cooperation, Energy, Transport and Climate Policy, Wuppertal Institute, Germany
- Marc Iglesias Perez, Head of Sustainable Mobility Section, Barcelona Metropolitan Government (AMB), Spain (Download slides)
- Dr. Tsu-Jui Cheng, Assistant Professor in Transport Studies, National Cheng Kung University, Chinese Taipei (Download slides)
Organized by the Transformative Urban Mobility Initiative, the workshop introduced the TUMI E-Bus Mission project (joint project by C40, GIZ, ICLEI, ITDP, UITP, SLOCAT, WRI).
- Felipe Ramirez, General Manager, Transmilenio, Bogotá, Colombia: “Experiences of the city of Bogotá on acquiring electric buses by tender”
- Anthony Courreges, Clean Transport Finance Manager, C40 Cities: “Innovative business models for electric bus upscaling”
- Cristina Albuquerque, Urban Mobility Manager, WRI Brasil: “”Electrification of public transport in Brazilian cities””
- Laghu Parashar, GIZ India: “Training needs of cities for upscaling of electric bus operations”
- Facilitator: Jens Giersdorf, GIZ, TUMI Volt