Decarbonizing Transport: No Silver Bullet 16 October @ 14:30 - 15:30 UTC+2 The transport sector currently consumes more than half of the global oil demand,
Decarbonizing Transport: No Silver Bullet
16 October @ 14:30 – 15:30 UTC+2
The transport sector currently consumes more than half of the global oil demand, contributes roughly one quarter of energy-related CO2 emissions and is the fastest growing emissions sector. Without immediate actions, transport emissions could more than double by 2050; if we are to limit global warming well below the 1.5 degree Celsius, we must decarbonize transport.
But there is no single solution to delivering carbon-neutral mobility – we need a combination of measures.
A growing number of cities are taking steps to decarbonize transport – especially passenger transport but also freight, driven by the need to reduce air pollution and CO2 emissions. These measures include reducing transport demand, shifting to low-carbon and more efficient modes of transport, as well as enhancing vehicle and fuel efficiency. In addition to technological development, other alternatives such as behavioral change also play a role in achieving long-term climate targets.
This panel will focus on various policies, infrastructure and technological developments to support decarbonizing of the transport sector. We will also discuss development and challenges in e-mobility and its uptake in public transportation system.
Speakers and attendees will engage on the following questions:
- The transformation of urban passenger transport is one priority action in the short term to decarbonize transport. In what ways can the transport sector, public transport in particular, scale up ambition and speed up climate action?
- In the transition towards carbon neutral transport, how could the public and private sectors work together to accelerate this process
- What are the enabling frameworks? Are there any innovative financing mechanisms for low carbon transport in cities?
- How can we foster knowledge transfer and share best practices that will accelerate the transition to carbon-neutral mobility?
- What CO2 mitigation measures has been planned reaching climate goals and underlying challenges to achieve them?
(Friday) 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm CEST
Virtual Event Details
Event has already taken place!